Saturday, March 15, 2008

Coke vs. Diet Coke...

Most of you probably know of my great love for Coca Cola. Some have even called it an addiction but I say - who cares? I enjoy drinking it and try to be disciplined about how much I have, typically no more than 1 a day. By the way, the refills at a restaurant still count as 1 :)!

Anyways, a few years ago I gained a "little" weight after Jeff returned home from his first deployment. Everyone called them happy pounds but by golly I wasn't happy they were there. I guess all the cooking I did once he came home added up quickly. So when I decided to work to get it off, went on a diet and made the switch to Diet Coke in order to still have my treat but not the calories. Well, after reading about current research on Coke vs. Diet Coke in mice I've decided to return to full on sugar Coke. Basically, research suggests the fake sugars in diet drinks actually make your body crave more sugar and can actually contribute to weight gain! And while I won't get into all the detail of how my body and its functioning have changed as a result of the switch - let me say I couldn't be happier, even if I have to be careful not to add all the weight back on that I lost a few years ago!

Now before you think that I'm obsessed about my body, I want you to know that the research is just my excuse to go back to regular Coke! I was blessed/cursed with my dad's sweet tooth and so I'm working hard at not giving in to all my cravings but still enjoying life. Meaning I still indulge ;)! I firmly believe the Lord gives you one body for His use and we need to be disciplined to take care of it but not obnoxious about it either. Jeff and I try to cook and eat well and exercise often but we all know at times life gets busy and things just don't happen. But every day is a new day and working to take care of the Lord's temple is a priority.

Anyways, happying soda drinking for those who enjoy it. I have friends who don't and I think their really missing out! More later....

1 comment:

Shel said...

Amen Sister! But you forgot to mention how we pick restaurants based on which product their serve coke or the other guy. (who shall remain unnamed by me!)