Monday, April 13, 2009

democracy, or at least my thoughts on it.

“For centuries, Western culture has assumed that, no matter how "kind" they are, given adequate information, people can be trusted to look after themselves. Democracy itself rests on that assumption.” by Linda Hirshman

I read this quote in an internet article about abuse women deal with and why. The quote struck me as so profound in light of our current political culture which says we have to take care of everyone and everything. It seems that the government’s responsibility is to bail out people when they don’t make wise choices for themselves. Maybe this is an arrogant statement because I haven’t needed anyone to bail me out lately and most of the people I know don’t need the governments help either because they made smart choices and/or have figured out ways to take care of their own problems. I believe the role of government is to help to make the country function but not to try and fix all its problems. Maybe I took one too many political science courses in college or worked too long on Capitol Hill (if you call a year and a half long ;) ) but it seems to me that what we are asking of our government is for control that freaks me out. Sure I don’t want mass shootings, and I don’t want the economy to collapse, but is looking to the government to fix it worth the price we’re going to pay? I want my freedom, not at the expense of others, but the freedom not to be worried about what right the government will take away from me next.

Lately, I am more and more frustrated with our American climate that the government is to play God and fix everything. The president is not Jesus Christ, and no one else on earth is. Christ is seated at the right hand of God and He alone was and is perfect. My salvation doesn’t rest in this world and what it can provide me – my salvation rests in Christ alone and in Him alone will I look to answers. I don’t expect perfection from the world around me, maybe I have become disillusioned or I am finally looking at the world through the right lens but the world and the people in it are fallible. I’ve started looking at politicians, teachers, people period as imperfect but trying to the best (for the most part) that they can. I know I can’t change everyone’s thinking, but maybe I can encourage you to think about some of these things.

Have a great Monday!

1 comment:

Kim and Rudy said...

Love this post, girlfriend.